- Attribute - 1 DP per +2 Attribute points
- Skill Training - 3 DP
- Beginner Skill Specialization - 1 DP
- Advancing Beginner Skill Specialization to Expert - 1 DP
- Advancing Expert Skill Specialization to Master - 2 DP
- First Attunement - 4 DP
- Further Attunements - 4 DP +2 DP for each school already Attuned.
- Beginner Art Discipline - 1 DP
- Advancing Beginner Art to Expert - 1 DP
- Advancing Expert Art to Master - 2 DP
- New Edge - 1-3 DP depending on Edge
- Buy Off Drawback - 1-6 DP depending on Drawback
- Additional Takeaway slot (beyond 3) - 1 DP
Chill is a fairly simple character creation and advancement that hasn't changed much from its original incarnations. It has adapted some modern mechanics especially in the way you can acquire or change Takeaways as well as changing your Drive. But it hasn't really needed to change much.
The main interesting point in character advancement is the way that you are limited in advancing Skills, the Art, and Attributes between cases as well as the fact that you can only advance between cases. This sort of enforces the idea of extensive down-time between cases. If you are still going immediately after the previous session's action then it might be considered part of the same case. As such, the GM needs to eventually put in a brief time skip to allow people the chance to advance their abilities.
As players are expected to explain and justify how their characters train, these downtimes become a small montage. This allows you to give some insight into the character's daily lives as well as skip over the long and slow parts of investigations that take several weeks or months in real life, such as DNA testing and the like.
The real gem in Chill is more in the work that was put into designing the setting. The book is littered with art of journal pages and creepy photos along with quotes from interview notes and old journals. The rulebook does a great job immersing you in the world wide struggle of SAVE vs the evil of the Unknown, from the online conversation between the Syrian leader of the new SAVE struggling between addressing the troubles of her homeland and focusing on the global threat of the world to segments of the seminar on the study and proper use of the Art. That, however, is not related to the character creation.
Character Creation and the Gorgon Archer