One of the first things that City of Mist's rulebook points out when you get to the section on character advancement is that the advancement of the game is largely player-driven. On the one hand, point buy games have been doing this for three decades and descriptive character creation games like Fate and other Powered by the Apocalypse games have similarly been granting players control of the trajectory of their character. So this is not actually terribly unique, but City of Mist has very interesting mechanics in play that cause the development of a character's narrative to dovetail with the development of their character mechanics that are unique.
- Give Attention to a Logos Theme.
- Explore one of your Mystery Themes.
- Work the Case.
- Prepare for the next scene.
- Recover from consequences gained earlier.
- Choose a new Power Tag.
- Add, Remove, or Rewrite a Weakness Tag.
- Choose a Theme specific improvement.
- Reset Crack or Fade.
- Choose another broad Power Tag
- Gain an Ally Theme
- Gain a Base of Operations Theme
- Gain a Ride Theme
- Get closure from your Nemeses
- Go through a transformation
- Leave the City (you can come back)
- Make one Core Move permanently Dynamite! (capable of critical success)
- This one can be taken three times.
- See through the Mist
Mythos - Rift of Euryale