Advancement in Fate Core is centered around Milestones. There are three kinds of Milestones: Minor Milestones, Significant Milestones, and Major Milestones. Whenever one of these milestones is achieved it allows the players increase or alter their character in different ways. In general, you get a Minor Milestone at the end of every session or make major progress on the current scenario; you get a Significant Milestone at the end of every scenario or make major progress on the story arc; Major Milestones are reserved for the end of a story arc or for those sessions that result in major upheavals to the world as it relates to the game. Major upheavals would be things like the defeat of a major recurring villain, the collapse of major institutions within the setting, a sudden increase of scope bringing the campaign from a local to a regional level, or anything else that causes a serious change to the face of the game world.
- Switch the ranks between any two Skills
- Change any single Stunt for another Stunt
- Purchase a new Stunt provided you have enough Refresh (You can't go below 1 Refresh and 1 Stunt costs 1 Refresh)
- Change any Character Aspect that is not your High Concept
- Gain +1 Skill rank to learn a new Skill at average or increase a higher level skill. There are some caveats to this.
- Change the name of any Severe Consequence in order to begin the recovery process. Yes, healing of the heaviest injuries in Fate only happen as you achieve milestones. You will basically be dealing with that injury, curse, emotional state, or legal issue for at least as long as the current scenario lasts.
- If you have an Extreme Consequence (in Core, this is an affliction so severe that it changes one of your five Character Aspects to reflect its crippling nature), you rename it to reflect that you've moved past its most debilitating effects. This allows you to take another Extreme Consequence if you need to at a later time.
- Take an additional point of Refresh which allows you to immediately buy a new stunt or keep it in order to begin each session with more Fate Points.
- Advance a Skill beyond the campaign's current Skill Cap if you are capable of doing so, thus increasing the Skill Cap.
- Rename your character's high concept if you desire.
|This is a legal skill ladder, though for a game with a lower number of starting skills.|
|This is an illegal skill ladder because there are not enough +2 skills to support the +3 skills.|
Demagogue - +2 to Rapport when giving an inspiring speech in front of a crowd. (If there are named NPCs or PCs in the crowd, you can target all of them with one roll rather than splitting up your successes)
Uncanny Accuracy - Once per conflict, stack an additional free invoke on an advantage you've created to represent the time you've taken to line up the shot. (Examples: In my Sights or Taking Aim)
Danger Sense - You have an almost preternatural capacity for detecting danger. Your Notice skill works unimpeded by conditions like total concealment, darkness, or other sensory impairments in situations where someone intends to harm you.
Character Creation and the Gorgon Archer