Characters advance by the acquisition of Experience Points which are spent on increasing stats with an escalating sequence of costs. The game presents several options for how to award experience points but suggest an average of 2 to 4 experience points per session. One option is for everyone to gain an set reward for every session, referred to as an Installment in the vein of old Victorian serials. This set reward is in addition to any circumstances, such as acquiring a permanent Liability in game play, that might also grant Experience Points.
- 1 point for participation
- 1 point for significant progress toward a personal goal
- 1 point for each player that took risks in furtherance of their pursuit or roleplaying their Affinities.
- 1 point for characters who were convinced of something in social combat and accepted the results.
- 1 point for the character voted by the players as the single most valuable character of the session.
- Steam - The character most involved with discovering, creating, using, or learning about advanced science or technology.
- Punk - The character that most actively supported or threatened a social system or institution.
- Victorian - The character most involved in historical Victorian society: politics, romantic entanglements, fashion, etc.
- Horror - The character most involved in uncovering hidden knowledge, most impacted by Pontus events, chimera and/or aberrations, or surviving some sort of personal horror.
As to the cost of the advancements, they are as follows:
- Increasing an Aptitude costs the new rank x5 experience points.
- Increasing a Skill costs the new rank x2 experience points.
- Increasing a Reputation costs the new rank x2 experience points.
- Increasing an Affinity costs the new rank x1 experience points.
- Gaining an Asset requires consulting with the GM and spending 7 experience points.
- Losing an Asset permanently grants the player 5 experience points with consultation with the GM.
- Gaining a Liability permanently grants the player experience points with consultation with the GM.
- Losing a Liability permanently requires consulting with the GM and spending 7 experience points.
- Becoming partially fluent in a language costs 2 experience.
- Becoming fully fluent in a language costs 5 experience new, or 3 experience to update a partially fluent language.
- Decreasing Reputation costs the Fixed rank x2.
- Increasing Reputation costs the Temporary rank x2
- Decreasing Affinity costs the Fixed rank x2
- Increasing Affinity costs the Temporary rank x2